How sweet is the light, what a delight for the eyes to behold the sun! Even if a man lives many years, let him enjoy himself in all of them, remembering how many the days of darkness are going to be. The only future is nothingness!
Ecclesiastes 11:7-8


January 25, 2012

Past research has suggested a link between coffee and a reduced risk of type 2 diabetes. Now, researchers at Wuhan University have identified three major compounds in coffee that may provide potentially beneficial effects: caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, and caffeine. These findings suggest that the beneficial effects of coffee consumption on type 2 diabetes mellitus may be partly due to the ability of the major coffee components and metabolites to inhibit the toxic aggregation of human islet amyloid polypeptide (hIAPP), Starbucks Decafa substance normally found in the pancreas. Sometimes, however, abnormal protein deposits (toxic aggregation) arise from hIAPP. These abnormal deposits (amyloid fibrils) are found in people with type 2 diabetes. In 2009, a study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine reported that people who drank the most coffee seemed to have the lowest risk of developing type 2 diabetes. That study reported that with each cup of coffee consumed daily, the risk of type 2 diabetes dropped by 7 percent. So, the researchers behind the new study conducted laboratory experiments to see if compounds found in coffee could inhibit the production of the abnormal protein deposits associated with hIAPP. They found that caffeic acid, chlorogenic acid, and caffeine, the three most common components in coffee, helped reduce the abnormal protein deposits. Caffeic acid appeared most effective. And, because decaffeinated coffee contains even higher levels of caffeic acid and chlorogenic acid than caffeinated coffee, the beneficial effect may be even stronger for decaffeinated coffee. Starbucks here I come.

1 comment:

  1. You too?

    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in April of 2009. It was such a shock -- I thought I was going to continue indefinitely as the healthiest fat old lady on the planet -- I made a vow to not just beat diabetes, but "beat it into the ground!"

    So I learned to count carbs, eliminated sugar as much as possible from my diet, and ended up dropping 65 lbs over the following 9 months. Those changes were enough to reverse every indicator of diabetes.

    Today my a1c is 5.1, my fasting blood sugar is 91, I've dropped a few more lbs (74 in all), and my doctor says I'm her type 2 diabetes patient poster child.
    My tall, lean, lanky sons and tall but definitely not-lanky husband have said they are proud of me.

    I'm still diabetic; I still take metformin pills every day, but I don't have to test my blood sugar any more. It's like being an alcoholic; I'll be a diabetic the rest of my life.

    I'm still a fat old lady, just not quite so fat, and definitely a LOT healthier than I was 3 years ago.

    Fear is an amazing motivator.

    Maybe the fact I drink 24 oz of very strong coffee every morning doesn't hurt either.

    Good article; thanks!

    ReplyDelete